Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year! Resolution time, anyone?

First and foremost, I would like to wish you all a very Happy New Year!

I don't know about you, but 2008 was filled with many trials and tribulations...mentally, emotionally, and physically. For starters, I won my work's Biggest Loser competition, losing nearly 30 pounds and reaching an 8 year low in my weight. Unfortunately, I allowed emotional woes to get the best of me and bring me back up to 255 lbs, 10 lbs more than I weighed at the beginning of 2008. In 2008, I forged the first real friendships in my teenage/adult life, from which I experienced true happiness for the first time in over a decade. Within seven months, that true happiness was replaced with true heartache, for reasons that I will never understand. As a result, I am left without a friend to my name once more. Finally, my irresponsibility has further dug me in the financial ditch known as debt. At first it was managable, but due to the current state of the economy, the lenders of my credit are taking action to protect themselves, cutting my credit limits in half. Where my debt to credit ratio was in good standing three months ago, as of today, I now have far less available credit compared to debt.

If I could sum up 2008 in one word, it'd have to be "depressing."

I'm not one who's easily depressed, so you'll forgive me if I'd like to forget that the year 2008 ever existed. From hence forth, my only concern is what transpires in 2009, and if I have anything to say about it, this year will be far different, far better, than these past 12 wasted months of my life.

What are my resolutions? Well, as a fatty, I'm pretty sure you can guess what the number one vow will be.

I know I'm able to lose weight, gain muscle, and become healthy...after all, I've done it before. I've allowed so many things to interfere with my goals as of late that it seems as thought I've just given up alltogether. In fact, I haven't given up on the hope or the efforts. My discipline has been loose to say the least, so with the new year and the refreshed sense of hope that comes with it, I'm positive that I can get my act together and keep my eyes on the prize.

My second resolution for this new year is to pull up the roots that I've been planting for far too long. I have allowed myself to become accustomed to the everyday routine, doing the same thing, living the same life, day in and day out. This false comfort has stunted my growth in life, from losing weight, making friends, and finding a careerpath that would allow me to maintain a prosperous way of life. I am far more messed up that I'd like to be, and along with finding my way to 185 lbs and 8% body fat, I'm looking to reshape the social and professional aspects of my life. Forging friendships has always proved rather difficult for me, painfully so, but I welcome this challenge with open arms.

This is perhaps the most difficult resolution of the lot. I work a dead-end job, getting paid small bucks for a job that others get paid so much for. Living as a border in my mom's house, the only child paying rent while purchasing my own food, with bills including credit cards, charge cards, insurance, DirecTV, and Verizon Wireless...I don't make enough money to live comfortably unless utilizing any available credit to my name. For someone with so many responsibilities, I haven't been living all too responsibly. While I have vowed to live off a very strict budget for as long as it takes, budgeting will only go so far towards paying off a debt and preparing for the future. I need to work towards finding a career, deciding not to work as a graveyard shift stockboy for the rest of my life. I don't know what this will entail, but I'm willing to do whatever's necessary to advance to the next stage in my life. It's time to finally grow up....

There are probably other resolutions that I hope to keep throughout this year and many to come, but these three are of the utmost importance.

What are your resolutions? Surely you've got at least one. Whatever they may be and however you go about accomplishing them, I hope that you find the solace you're looking for in this new year.

As always, I appreciate your time and attention. Thank you for keeping up with me here and on YouTube. Knowing that I've got good people keeping tabs on me helps to keep me accountable, and any success on my part wouldn't have been possible without you. As you continue to follow my journey, you will come to find what one man can do when he really puts his heart, soul, and mind to it.

You all mean more to me than you know, and again, I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Much Love!


-TripleQ

12 comments:

Vince said...

Hey Josh! I'm sorry 2008 was not a great year for you, but at least you are able to see the light now and forge into the new year and do what you have to do to live the life that you want...I wish you the best this year and if you ever need anything don't be hesitant to ask!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing all that. Sometimes you have to be brave to make good things happen. My husband worked in a grocery store from age 16 to 26 all the way through University. Sometimes he says he still misses it. We graduated during the last recession 1995 and there were no jobs to be had. His grocery store job looked pretty good at that time since it took me 6 months to even find a 10 hour a week part time retail job.. I would have been happy with the security of him taking a full time position at the grocery store would have given us however he wanted more from life. If he had not tried for something better then he would not have the great job that he loves today. He was brave and took a leap of faith. Leap young friend! :)

Unknown said...

I feel like I know you more after reading that blog. 2008 was a tough year for us all in some ways. I lost and gained as well! But 2009 will be different, man. I WILL reach my goals....and I want you right there by my proverbial side doing it just the same and changing your life forever.

Unknown said...

Making & keeping friends can be difficult. When I watch you on your videos or read your blogs, I just assume you have tons of friends. You are honest & funny & just seem to have a great personality, but I completely understand. I've delt with depression & social anxiey almost all my life & have always been told that I am funny too. It is amazing how many comedians also suffer from depression. I'm not sure what the deal is there. I'm not saying you are depressed, I'm just saying that things aren't always as they appear, are they?

I think it is great that you are renting from your mom. You are building up a credit history by paying rent but at the same time it's your mom. Probably a little more lenient than some Joe Blow apartment manager.

TripleQ said...

Vince my boy!

Indeed, this new year is a year of renewed hope, newfound determination, and countless possibilities. I have definitely seen the light, and the mistakes I've made in the past will only help me to forge ahead into a most awesome future.

I appreciate your kind words, and I assure you, if ever the time comes, I will surely remember your generous offer.

You rock, buddy!

TripleQ said...

Heather! My little Sparkster!

I totally understand what you're saying.

Yeah, my job may suck and I may get little from it, but I'm coming to understand that there are many others out there who are having great difficulty just finding a job, even a horrible one like my own. I do want more and I do want out of my current situation, but for the time being, I will continue to be thankful that I even have a job to complain about.


Mind you, I will continue to take steps toward making that big "leap" into bigger and better things. :-)

I always appreciate your audience, my dear!

TripleQ said...

What can I say?

I'm absolutely thrilled to be by your proverbial side, my friend!

I'm not that easy a guy to crack open and read...my security blanket is wrapped pretty tight! It's hard opening up to others, but I'm glad that you feel as though you know me better now. It feels...refreshing.

Thanks you for your continued support, buddy! I'm all the better because of it. :-)

TripleQ said...

Hey there, Kristy!

I empathize with 100% of what you're saying.

Life is just so hard sometimes. It's not fair that what seems so easy for most, be it making friends or maintaining good health, is just as much of a challenge for people like us. I would love to be able to walk down the street and become buddies with the guy on the corner waiting for the bus, but I think that if I had that ability, I wouldn't be the empathic, sensitive, and understanding guy I am today. And even though I don't really see myself as funny, I suppose that trait is also a product of who I am because of my social hang-ups.

Would I like to change who I am? Of course. But can I? Only time will tell. In the meantime, I've just got to make the best of the hand I've been dealt and strive to live my life the way I want to...healthy and happy.

I mean, that's all we can do, right?

Have a great day, Kristy!

Unknown said...

Hey QQQ,

I just read your response, yeah, I'm a little slow on the draw. You are so right about how our "hang ups" shape our lovable personalities. I went through mental torture at the hands of bullies (who later became some of my best friends) in elementary school that later lead to social anxiety & depression. I look back on that now & have asked God why he let me go through all of that & I feel pretty certain that it was because He wanted me to have a more empathetic & just generally nicer attitude & personality. Who knows, if I hadn't gone through all of that I may have turned out to be a real egomaniac/witch.

Anonymous said...

I know you know this already, but you are smart smart smart! You write brilliantly - I hope you use that talent in whatever you decide to do (I really liked those political entries). The world needs people like you! Look forward to seeing you succeed in your resolutions!

TripleQ said...

Dear Anonymous,

I most certainly appreciate your kind words; they mean more to me than you know. I would like to thank you by name, but since you've posted as "anonymous," I'm afraid that cannot be accomplished. So....

Who are you?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm always asking my parents why they decided to call me Anonymous...it's so weird!

No, my name's Catri. I just recently subscribed to your videos on youtube (peacefulprovisions is my username).

Hey, you needn't thank me for saying what's true. I see lots of good in you, and I really want to see you do well!